Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 2:45 PM Subject: Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

> Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx > > In a message dated 12/3/04 9:21:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, > tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes: > We are sort of grasping for little clues and things that help us predict > further into the unknown. It seems we are fairly good at it really!! We > can't solidly explain it, but by using these odd tools we learn more and it > does prove out in the end. > > Why are we still going about things this way? How come we don't know > more about the streamers themselves? There must be somebody out there who > needed to know the properties of arcs. > Whatabout the folks who study natural lightning?

Lots of data on continuous arcs.
Lots of data on single shot discharges.
Lots of data on 60 Hz breakdown (but steady state)
Lots of data on gas breakdown with RF, but not from electrodes, rather, in
waveguides.

Almost no data on spark growth with a repetitive pulsed RF source.

> Three weeks ago I was pestering Richard Hull. He told me that there's > a book by Von Engel on electrical conduction of gases "that will tell you > more about how to make sparks with a Tesla coil than any book on Tesla > coils." He said that Von Engel's book barely mentions equipment, but goes > into great detail on the physics involved. Might be titled "Ionized Gases". > I'll clarify next weekend when I see Richard again (or he could pipe up if > he reads this! :) ).

Another good reference is Bazelyan and Raizer, "Spark Discharge", published
by CRC press.

However, as all those authors point out, spark growth, in a repetitive system, "is not well understood".