Re: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: Bert Pool <bert.tx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

-Phil LaBudde posted:

[big snip]

I'm especially interested in how Richard Hull got such good performance out of an exceptionally small resonator, and why nobody has duplicated this.

Phill, it has been duplicated.

When I built my best magnifier, I went to Richmond, looked at Hull's coil, measured, photographed, and stole Richard's methods like a pirate. I pretty much duplicated Richard Hull's 11E magnifier, and I used the same 4" by 14" resonator he used, and got similar results. But I have to admit my toroid configuration did not match the same degree of field shaping as Richard's and my coil eventually failed. On extreme coils such as the 11-E, electrostatic field shaping with the proper array of sheet metal cones and toroids is absolutely essential.

Want an efficient, amazing coil? Here's the secret in one sentence: follow Richard's lead - outrageous top loads, very high voltage potential transformers, small capacitors, and most importantly, very good 8 point series rotary gaps.

Bert Pool