Re: Fun with Argon

Original poster: Gary Franklin <Franklin.Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

I have read that Tesla used inert gases in some his experiments but I
don't know any details.

Jon C. Fox has some pages, http://hilarion.com/igd.html, that describe
his work inert gases that are energized with a magnetic and/or electirc
field. Anyone noticed any effects that you could say are due to the
inert gas?

Tesla invented a ozone production method that produced only ozone, which
is not toxic. The glass electrodes of a violet wand, also a Tesla
invention I understand, produces ozone without the nitric compounds.

GF

Tesla list wrote: > > Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > In a pure argon atmosphere the arcs will travel at least 5x their normal > length and appear much, much hotter than 'normal'. Also, they may approach > 8x their normal (atmospheric gases) length. I've around 4 or 5 years of > experience in this area (see the bi-polar coil page on my web). > > Here's an idea for some potentially great photos, fill large balloons with > argon, attach them above the coil and while it's running, with cameras at > the ready, puncture the balloons (many ways to do this), argon is heavier > than our atmosphere and it will drift down into the discharge area, you > could also spray that area directly with a bottle of argon, don't worry, > nothing will blow, and the arcs going into the hose up into the bottle is > of no consequence..........Send me copies. I'll be doing this experiment > fairly soon. The only problem is that our atmosphere is around 78% > nitrogen, which inhibits arcing (which is why I use it to blast spark gaps > on some of my designs), so a fairly large quantity of argon needs to be > discharged into the arcing area. But who knows? That's the fun of an > experiment. > > And from what little that I know, you do directly smell the ozone (which is > damaging to the lungs, and Tesla wanted to open "Ozone Parlours", go > figure). There are other breakdown products but that 'sweet' smell is you > nose directly identifying ozone. > > Cheers, > > John F. Cooper > Irvine, CA > www.Tesla-Coil.com > www.FrankensteinsLab.com > > >> > >>Does a tesla coil need air to discharge? I also thought of filling the > >>case with argon or some inert gas. I also thought that this might > >>affect the amount of sparks produced because it probably wouldn't > >>be as conductive. > > > >The arcs will be about 5X longer in argon!! Nitrogen would be the best > >choice there I think. But just air should be fine. The problem with the > >fancy gasses is that they all do odd things to the spark behavior. Arcs > >travel about 5X longer in argon. > > > >Cheers, > > > > Terry > >