Hair braider for Litz wire?

Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I was intrigued by this battery powered widget my daughter has that purports
to braid hair.  It has some clips for the hair and little prongs and gears
that when you turn it on, it does in fact do the in and out/over and under
required for braiding.

This got me thinking about whether it would be possible to build a somewhat
larger version of this thing to make Litz wire.  Does anyone have any ideas
on what sorts of gearing/mechansims would be needed?  It might be quite
simple and just a matter of getting the relative phases of the prongs right.
For that matter, what is a standard braiding pattern (if there is such a
thing) for Litz wire.  Are there standard braids for, say, 7 strands or 13
strands or whatever?