RE: SCR spark gap results are in!

Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
	Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this thread I'm new to TCML.

	Re SCR turn off times, If you ran the SCR with a suitable reverse
diode you should be able to use the coil in a similar way to an IGBT in an
OLTC. Discharge the primary cap into the primary, let it ring up with the
reverse diode taking the -ve swings , turn off when ring up is complete.

 The slow turn off times are not as important as they can be over a number
of cycles (the ring up time of the coil) so slower devices could be used.

	The problem you may be having with SCR's is that their slow turn on
time will limit the power you can get into the first bang, but if you have
got 1us turn on time SCR's as long as they can handle the dv/dt I don't see
that as an issue.

	Derek Woodroffe.