Re: LTR cap BPS?

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/30/04 9:07:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well, my question comes from
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html
Seems like if I use its LTR suggestion, it states 60~ or so BPS at any
decently wide gap setting for the NST.
Is this just the program screwing up and stateing 1/2 the BPS? or is it
really 60bps at those gap settings?

Bart's JavaTC is very good, but I don't think I exactly agree with
his method of figuring the BPS, etc.  I don't think JavaTC accounts
for the extra power that can be drawn out an NST beyond its
name-plate rating due to resonant or inductive kick and
input overvolting.  This extra power permits the breakrate to
be higher than expected using a given cap value.  Perhaps
Bart has updated his program, I don't know.  A too-wide
gap will tend to reduce the breakrate of course.  I do agree
with Gary Lau's previous comments regarding the breakrate.

John