Re: The 1500t secondary myth

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

It's not a myth --- it's physics, pure and simple.

The potential developed across an inductor is V = -L di/dt.

It is very apparent that the larger the inductance, the large the output
potential (assuming similar values for the rate change of current across the
inductor).

Since inductance, L, is dependent on the physical geometry of the inductor
and the number of turns on the inductor, the greater the number of turns the
larger the potential.

Balanced against this is the resistance of the wire which, beyond a certain
point, impedes resonance.

I have tested literally hundreds of coils and always found 1,200 to 1,500
turns to be an optimum point for most coils in the 1 kVA to 15 kVA range.
We start out most designs by (1) after selecting a diameter suitable for the
power level, then determining the 4.5:1 height to dia. ratio, and then (2)
dividing this winding length by 1,400 to determine the correct number of
turns.  This produces a fixed wire dia. to use for the winding.  We always
use 200 degree C wire due to its increased insulation value and tough
finish.

Resonance and current factors become more deterministic above the 12-15 kVA
range where larger dia wires to carry the high peak currents become
necessary.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.