Re: Shell Diala (agian) a skin irritant?

At 07:46 AM 8/25/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "David Rieben" <drieben-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com>
>Hi all,

>One thing that I did notice that I might should
>pass along though is that this oil seems to irritate
>my skin . The skin on top of my forearms began
>itching and actually broke out into a minor rash. Has
>anyone else ever noticed this in handling dielec-
>tric oils from transformers and/or capacitors?
>I kind of figured that it's probably not advisable to
>bathe in this oil anyway, even if it's not PCBs ;^)

I've never noticed this phenomenon, but maybe you have a sensitivity to the
antioxidant in the oil?  It's probably either tocopherol (Vitamin E), BHA,
or BHT.  Should be on the MSDS you got when you bought the oil. (Just
checked the data sheet at
http://www.shell-lubricants-dot-com/products/pdf/DialaA&AX.pdf
.. they use 2,6-ditertiary butyl paracresol now.. maybe you're sensitive to
it..  By the way, that's the difference between Diala A and AX, the AX has
the inhibitor, the A doesn't)

Also, was this the oil straight from the pail, or had it been in your
equipment?

How did you clean the oil off your arms (i.e. maybe the detergent has
something you're sensitive too..I've noticed a difference in skin reaction
depending on the brand of dish soap I use to remove oil)