xformer anyone?

Original poster: "Mike Novak" <solschoice-at-charter-dot-net>

Hello,
It's been a long time since I've been on the list but now I've gotten a
hold of a big transformer and would like to make yet another tesla coil.
However, the transformer I've come across may not be the best for coiling
and I would like to see if any one of the list members would like to trade
for a comparable pole pig. The transformer I have is made for bombarding
neon signs and is dry potted. This may be okay for tesla coil use, more
sutable for a magnifier with it's 30kV output, but I would personally not
attempt a large tesla coil with a dry xformer. If anyone is interesting in
trading with me (or buying this so I can afford a more suitable unit)
please contact me off-list at SolsChoice-at-hotmail-dot-com
I'm sure my transformer would make a spectactular jacob's ladder. I tested
it at 15kW and it is intimidating to say the least. I used a spool of 10
gage THHN wire with a 5/8" threaded rod down the middle for a ballast and
it drew 62 amps from a 240 volt source. It took a couple of ~1 minute runs
in jacob's ladder mode and did not get even remotely warm in any area
(though the ballast core burnt me :P)

The specs on the unit are as follows:

Secondary Voltage 30kV
Secondary Nominal Current 250mA
Rated Power 7.5kVA
Primary Voltage 240V
Primary Nominal Current 32A

*Recently modified the secondary configuration to be mid-point grounded
(before it was floating)

This thing weighs a ton (not literally but it takes at least two
moderately strong people to lift it. In fact with this thing in the trunk
of my civic, the back end dropped a couple inches. My point is, anyone
interested would probably want to arrange an exchange. I live in western
Wisconsin so I'd like to keep this in the midwest area.

Any other questions, etc., email me off-list.
Thanks,
-Mike Novak