SSTC, Modes and soft switching

Original poster: "Bob (R.A.) Jones" <a1accounting-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hi all,

As described in my message subject: Mode splitting.  By offsetting the
primary and secondary frequencies one of the modes of the split fundamental
mode disappears.

This may be a useful configuration for an SSTC because both the initial
transient and the steady state current may be in phase with the drive
voltage if its at the frequency of the remaining mode.  Hence soft
switching even at the start of a burst may be achievable (assuming no break
out)

I have not yet done the transfer function analysis or transient analysis.
Which I will try to do unless someone can point out a problem with this
approach or error in my thinking.
As always it may well have already been considered.

I believe it has been suggested that from observation of the performance
that a system with an offset works better. Has anyone quantified the offset
and or got a frequency response of such a system?

Comments anyone?

Bob