RE: where to get dielectric oil? =

Original poster: "Gary Weaver" <gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net>

About 4 years ago I tested several different type of oils and posted the
results here.   I bought some HV oil from the power company.  I discovered
not to walk into the main office and ask to buy HV oil you will be told
that they do not sell it.  Go to the power company maintenance department
and ask to buy HV oil.  They will sell it to you for about $2.00 a gallon.
I tested lamp oil, 10wt non detergent motor oil, kerosene, diesel fuel, and
several other oils.  As long as they have no additives they will all work
fine.   Lamp oil from Wal Mart seems to be the easiest for everyone to find
and it comes in quarts and gallons.   Get uncented lamp oil 100% pure oil.
I tested the oil by placing an adjustable spark gap under the oil and
connecting it to 15KV power supply.   Measure the gap and try different
oils to see which one works best.   Put a cap in parallel with your
transformer and test it again.

Gary Weaver
gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.