RE: Designing High-Gain Triple Resonance Tesla-Transformers

Original poster: "Day, Michael" <Michael.Day-at-USPTO.GOV>

Interesting.  U.S. patent 5,079,482 does appear to include some a novel
expression for the mutual inductance of a sprial strip, as well as the
self-inductance of the secondary spiral winding.  These expressions would
facilitate the implimentation of the sprial strip design without having
to resorting to external tuning inductors.

Patent 5,079,482 cites US patent 4,931,700, also by the inventor Jay L.
Reed, which provides details of the electron beam gun.  The electron gun
generates an intense relativistic electron beam that does not require an
evacuated enevelope.

I wonder who this work was done for, and if these devices were ever built.

Mike Day

 >This patent is very interesting. Has even a calculation method for the
 >inductances and mutual inductances. The code that I have can reproduce
 >the primary inductance correctly, but can't simulate the secondary
 >coil... Something to update.
 >There is an outer cage connected to the primary coil and an inner
 >cage connected to the center of the secondary coil. (For who didn't
 >see the patent, the transformer uses a single turn primary coil and
 >a flat secondary coil inside it, both wound with flat strips.)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz