Re: Dear Rich REGARDING TITANIUM or ALUMINUM as an electrode

Original poster: tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Bill Ackley" <backley-at-satx.rr-dot-com>
 >
 > This metals have a valence of +3 or +4 if pushed hard enough, this means
 > that under the flux of high potential spark you will have a rapid conversion
 > to the metallic oxide.  Electrode metals, if they are to last should be
 > found on the periodic table with low valence & high melting point, platinum
 > would be nice if we could afford it.  Just a suggestion.

This is sort of irrelevant, but I found that platinum + copper oxide +
some heat = nice fire and no more platinum. I guess the lesson is don't
use platinum near hot copper. I learned this by accident with a formerly
nice platinum electrode. The fire was almost like burning magnesium
ribbon.

KEN