Re: Designing High-Gain Triple Resonance Tesla-Transformers

Hi Antonio,

At 06:58 PM 8/9/2004, you wrote:
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-twfpowerelectronics-dot-com>
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Jay Reed has sent me the following paper:
> >
> > http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/DesigningtripleresonanceTeslatransformers.pdf
> >
> > Designing High-Gain Triple Resonance Tesla-Transformers
>
>Interesting. Is this a published paper?

He tried to get it published in the Journal of Scientific Instruments but
they thought it was too long and such...

>I seems possible to adapt my design procedure to account for a
>capacitance across the third coil, but I wonder how to determine
>the value of this capacitance, given the dimensions of the coil.
>I usually consider that the capacitances of a coil can be modeled
>as two capacitances to ground, similar to Medhurst's capacitances,
>one at each end of the coil. The "other plate" of a Medhurst
>capacitance is the ground, and not the other end of the coil.
>Of course some of the electric field ends at the other end of the
>coil, but how to determine how to split the Medhurst capacitance
>in two parts, one to ground and another to the other end of the
>coil?

It also gets messy since there is a wire leading to the coil which may have
a significant effect and whose position has wide variation.

>A possibility would be to model a coil with distributed capacitance
>more precisely, by splitting it into a large LC network, as Paul
>Nicholson did, and then looking for the first notch in the frequency
>response obtained by exciting the coil at one end and looking at
>the voltage at the other. A capacitance across the coil can then
>model this notch. The capacitance from the output to ground can
>be obtained from the first resonance observed, that would be the
>resonance frequency of the coil with the two capacitances added.
>An identical capacitance, or a somewhat different one, if the
>actual geometry of the system is considered, can be obtained by
>exciting the network from the output side and observing the input.
>There are other details and complications if this extra capacitor
>is added, but nothing that can't be treated.
>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Interesting.  I will print your latest paper and comments and send them to Jay.

Cheers,

         Terry