Re: A reVOLTing development.

Original poster: "Bart Anderson" <tesla111-at-sbcglobal-dot-net>

Hi Christopher,

Whenever you go up in cap value, the transformer must be capable of
charging the cap to the voltage required to arc the gap distance. If your
using an NST or something relatively low in current, it's very possible the
NST will take quite a while to charge the cap up to the required level.

I personally would decrease the gap distance at this point and see if the
coil is brought back to a "normal" mode of firing. If it does, that's a
definite indication the capacitance is too much for the transformer used.
You will most like experience less spark length due to the low voltage (as
compared to the higher voltages capable with the smaller cap value). The
obvious here is to double or triple the transformer current.

This is all just a guess given the info listed. There are many
possibilities (cap problem during the upgrade, etc..). Whatever you do,
know that this is a problem in a component, connection, or design. I
recommend troubleshooting the problem rather than simply going back to the
single string (well, at least until you actually know what the cause is).

Take care,
Bart