Re: IGBT SSTC finally possible?

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 4/27/04 10:25:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>The difference was that my system still had the very
> >long 8mS duration.
>
>Yeah, 8ms is a long time!  i would really like to see some more info on
>this John.  What were the resulting spark lengths?

Steve,

~8mS (~8 milliseconds) is just the normal tube-coil on-time of
1/2 of a 60 Hz cycle.  I called it very long because it's long compared
to what you're doing with the ISSTC or compared to a SGTC.
The tube coil project eliminated the need for high input peak powers
because of the filter cap and gave 17" sparks using about 125 watts in
staccato mode.  The tubes tend to be a little difficult to shut off when
using a DC power supply, so I used a tetrode and fed the feedback
coil to the control grid, and fed the screen grid with 60Hz AC.  This
sort of simulated operation on raw unrectified AC while actually
running on DC.

John