Re: Homemade PCBs!

Original poster: Ben McMillen <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

If you want to go even cheaper, it is possible to use the toner transfer
method to get your artwork transferred to a baord.. They beauty of this
system is that you only need some semi-glossy paper, a laser printer, and
an old iron..

You'll have to exerpiment with different types of paper (and brands) to get
one that works best, but once you find the right one, the results are
excellent..

What you'll want to do is create your artwork with Eagle Cad as mentioned
below, export an image, and then print it to a piece of the semi-glossy
paper with the toner density turned up as high as it will go..

Then take a clean (must be very clean) piece of PC board cut to the size of
the finished board.. Lay a sheet of paper over the clean board (copper side
up) and heat with the iron (set to the 'wool' setting) for 3 minutes.. then
remove the sheet of paper and apply your artwork pattern to the surface of
the baord.. You'll want to be careful with this step.. once the toner comes
in contact with the hot surface of the board, it will stick instantly..
once the pattern is in place, recover with the sheet of paper and heat for
anohter 30 seconds.. Set aside to cool for about a minute or so.. then
carefully peel off the paper once the board is cool enough to hold..

That's it!

This is a bit tricky for double sided boards, which I haven't quite
mastered yet.. I usually stick to single sided boards and use jumpers on
the layout to get everything routed properly..

You should be able to get excellent quality boards at no more than the cost
of the paper, etchant, and board! (unless you don't have access to a laser
printer)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.. I've made hundreds of boards
this way..

Coiling In Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen

Original poster: "Jim Mitchell"

Or for about the same price it costs to get all the materials and things to
do photo etching, you can have 10, 3X5 soldermask and silkscreened boards
for 65$....

Regards - Jim Mitchell