Re: IGBT SSTC finally possible?

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation" <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

Firstly, there is no such thing as half-wave DC or full wave DC.
Again, any signal that you feed into your full-bridge chopper that is not
pure DC results
in a non-CW type SSTC.  Whether its a smooth sine wave, triangle wave,
pulsed DC as in
Steve's ISSTC, etc..., it is NOT CW.

Even those smooth sine waves as you say, turn on quick enough wave by wave
to cause a steep
RF envelope and allow big arcs.  CW on the otherhand has a continous RF
envelope resulting in
a short-length bushy discharge which is the ideal waveform for audio
modulated coils as it is
very quiet.

 > Yes but Steves *INTERUPTED* Solid State Tesla Coil is not continuous,  it
is
 > different as it is interupted rather then running off half wave DC or full
 > wave DC, those have a smooth sine wave, instead of the quick on and off
 > pulses that the interuptor does in the ISSTC.
 >
 > Regards - Jim Mitchell

DC
 > on
 >  > the rails and output discharge is
 >  > very quiet, brushlike, and very short (usually 2-3 inches)
 >  >
 >  > Most of the "normal" or "atypical" SSTCs use a full-bridge with some
type
 > of
 >  > non-DC waveform such as half-rectified AC, full-rectified AC, etc...
 >  >
 >  > A CW SSTC or CW VTTC would be like Sue Gaeta's audio modulated SSTC or
my
 >  > Plasmasonic audio modulated system.
 >  >
 >  > Dan
 >  >
 >  >  > Folks the ISSTC is a TOTALLY different beast, as well as the DRSSTC
 > from
 >  > the
 >  >  > normal CW SSTC.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > The IGBTs are not the reason why the ISSTC works, or why the DRSSTC
 > works.
 >  >  > If you go back and look you'll see that Steve was using MOSFETs
before
 > he
 >  >  > added the tuned primary.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > If you read a bit on IGBTs, some will say that they incorporate the
 > best
 >  > of
 >  >  > MOSFETs with the best of Bipolar Transistors, as they have a low
 >  > dissapation
 >  >  > compared with MOSFETs which dissapate more power.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Back "in the day" I believe IGBTs were used mostly in industrial
motor
msnip........