Re: Midwest Cheesehead Teslathon

Original poster: "Sam Barros" <sam-at-power-labs-dot-com>

  Well if you destroyed the coil (by over voltage I assume; I've run two
ignition coils at 5000W before in anti parallel and found that even at that
power it takes a minute or two before the oil starts to boil, so over
current on those is not much of a concern) it wouldn't spark, so that is
not an issue :)
  I wonder if it is possible to run them like a tesla coil; I.E. have a
high enough break rate that the sparks build on top of each other and grow
like streamers... If that was possible it would be possible to get larger
sparks without using more voltage than the insulation could handle...
  Ummm, looks like some experimentation is called for... I see a remake of
Terry's GE HEI cup comming up... Terry; will you be attending?

Sam Barros
ME/EE Major at Michigan Tech
http://www.powerlabs-dot-org
"If at first you don't succeed, increase the amperage!"