RE: Some wisdome needed!

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I think Dan meant to say metalized polypropylene, not metalized
polyester.  Polyester, a.k.a. mylar dielectric caps are far more lossy
and heat up and are generally considered not suitable for Tesla coil
caps.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation"
<dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

Cody,

Nice to see you join the group.  You'll find that tesla coiling is a
very rewarding activity and its mucho fun!

As for the capacitors, i'm using a few Panasonic Metallized Polyester
type
capacitors for the minikatz coil which can be purchased at
www.digikey-dot-com
(Email me for exact part numbers)
Other capacitors popularly used are the MMC capacitors that the geek
group
sells (www.geekgroup-dot-org)
and the GE 42Lxxxx (yellow ones) which a few use as well (including
myself)
with great results.

Although it may seem overwhelming at first (the first coil always is),
once
you build one, it will all come easy on #2, #3, and so forth . . .

dan

  > Hello my name is Cody, I am new to the tesla list. I am currently
studying
  > Electronics Engineering Technology and I am wanting to make a tesla
coil.
  > My buddy is giving me a NST rated at 15kV -at- 30mV. I really dont know
where
  > to start. I have looked at the minikatz coil and I like the design.
Where
  > would I find caps suitable for tesla work? My buddy says to make my
own. I
  > would really like to find manufactured ones if it wouldnt be too much
  > money. I have about $100 to make the coil and can probably get
building
  > materials like pvc and plywood for free. Also I have all the tools I
need
  > to make it. I have tried looking through the archives but it is very
  > overwhelming, alot of info that I don't yet fully understand. Any
  > information will be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Cody