The search for "old style" flybacks...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

People can argue about this until they are blue in
the face, but it doesn't matter.  Someone with good
scrounging ability can find anything they want, and in
any quantity they want.  I wonder how many on this
list have never been to a hamfest before?  At the
large ones you can find any electronic component
imaginable, and of any vintage...usually at decent
prices, lower than you can find on ebay, where a lot
of people are wanting to make a quick buck.  I drove
around the suburbs looking at trash piles for a couple
of hours in 2001 and found about 4 TV's and 3
microwaves.  I got voltage multipliers (Cockroft
Walton), nice flybacks, and a ton of MOT's.  All I had
to do was lift the old TV's into the back of the
truck.  There were even Black and White TV's.

Some people may not want to make the time to do this.
Fine, I understand that.  I would pay 25 dollars or
more for a flyback if I didn't feel like going out and
looking...but in my case, I use a lot of the other
parts of the TV's too.  Like the colorburst crystal in
a color TV is perfect for an 80M ham transmitter at
~3580KHz.

-Brett