RE: Simple Spark Gap Designs

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I've not personally built salt water caps - the performance is inferior
to polypropylene MMC's, are bulkier, messier, etc.  But I don't believe
salt is a problem with corroding copper.  It may corrode the aluminum
foil over an extended period of time, but this won't directly impact
performance, and you'll probably trade up to a poly cap before that
happens.  Salt water caps are quick and dirty.  If you want something
that lasts, use polypropylene MMC's.

Regards, Gary

Original poster: pepperman-at-SoftHome-dot-net

Gary,
With saltwater caps like you suggested, how big of a problem is
corrosion?  I know I've seen suggestions to use copper sulfate (sold
as a root killer for septic systems, etc.) as the salt, but that seems a
bit expensive.  So is there anything you can do to manage
corrosion in normal saltwater caps?

Michael Johnson