RE: Capacitor Question??

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

As you have found, it seems to be impossible to look up GE part numbers.
Short of coming up with a spec for a part number, it's often possible to
infer things by looking at the external features of the cap.  In
particular, what are the output terminations?  If they are 1/2 inch
diameter studs or bolts, it's very likely that this is a high current
pulse discharge cap.  If it has #6 screws or bus wire for terminations,
it's probably not useful.  Do you have a photo you can post somewhere?
While a visual assessment can't guarantee that it will work, we may be
able to say it probably won't work...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi all,

I have located a capacitor that has some decent ratings, voltage
and capacitance wise, and I was wondering if it would be any good
for Tesla application. It is a GE part# 30F1498 rated at 40 kV -at-
.22 uFD. I have tried, unsuccessfully to find out more about it
from the GE websites (there are many of them!) If anyone could
tell me more about this particular cap and its intended applica-
tion(s), I would be most greatful.

Thanks,
David