Re: Redesigning/tuning a coil

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 4/17/04 3:21:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>To everyone): there's something else I'm curious about--how well
>do you think the coil would run if it was tuned up to use the existing
>8" x 23" toroid, rather than replacing it?  I know there are more
>ideal ratios (e.g. 5" x 20" or 6" x 26"), but how do you think the 8" x
>23" would perform?  Would it be too big for the 15/60 NST?

Michael,

I prefer to use "fat" toroids such as 8" x 23" rather than thinner ones
such as 6" x 24".  I don't see anything more ideal about the thin
ones.  As long as the spark can break out it should be fine.  If the
spark can't break out, you can install a break out point or rod onto
the toroid outer edge, or lying over the top and into the well, and
protruding a few inches over the edge to let the spark break out.
This is very helpful especially when first tuning the coil to get it
to break out so you can judge the tuning as you adjust the tap
point on the primary.

John