Re: Sync Motor Wanted

Hi,

Golly!  My 4" Makita angle grinder can do them a bit more "artistically" in
like 30 minutes!!  The grinder has zero problems with the laminations but
the aluminum in the casting can clog the grinder a little.  However, I bet
with practice we all get a lot faster ;-))  The only thing that slows me
down is the rotor gets hot so I let it cool off.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Indeed, it appears that true machined
motors might be too pricey ;-(    However, for what a machine shop would
charge, you can get a big Harbor Freight* vice and a nice Mikitia
grinder...  Making sync motor is not rocket science:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/syncmot.zip

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/sync_motor.txt

BTW - Little milling machines cost just as much as big ones in the long run
=:O  I wish I had more room...  But I can pick up the little one and stick
it the trunk of my car ;-))

*Sorry to all the machinists for mentioning that place ;-))  I doubt I'll
be bumping into Ed Wingate there :o))  Just think of it as a machinist's
amusement park :-))))  And yes....  Their cheap twist drills really will
"un twist" :o))  I did get a dial caliper from there the other day.  You
may be confused!  Terry springs $250 for a Starrett caliper on Monday and
$19 for a Harbor Freight caliper on Tuesday??  The Harbor Freight on is for
(quite literally) underwater use ;-)))  They all have their nich...

Cheers,

         Terry