Re: Sync Motor Wanted

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation" <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

Actually, I disagree.  Have the identical motors (which I purchased from Dr.
Resonance), and they appear to power up many more
positions than true 90 degree or 45 degree.  Seems there might be at least
every 10 or 15 degrees (just visually anyways).

Here is a picture of my rotary gap using a Dr. Resonance motor.

http://www.easternvoltageresearch-dot-com/images/srsg01.jpg

Dan

 > These motors always sync at either true 90 degree (correct) position or 45
 > degrees off.  Flip the power switch on and off once or twice to let them
 > coast for 5-8 sec, then back on at 30% variac power and you are in sync.
If
 > you are not in sync you will know immediately by the length of the spark
at
 > 30% setting.
 >
 > We've used dozens of these in 3-5 kVA coils and they work great using the
 > above procedure.  Try it and you will see what I mean.  They are easy to
 > synch with you finger on the on/off switch.
 >
 > Dr. Resonance
 >
 > Resonance Research Corporation
 > E11870 Shadylane Rd.
 > Baraboo   WI   53913
 >  >
 >  > Are these motors you are currently offering true salient-pole
synchronous
 >  > motors, or are they still the same motors you offered last year that
were
 >  > NOT true salient pole motors? The 1/25 HP, 1800 RPM "synch motors" you
 >  > offered last year (Eastern Air Devices model H34BBM-8) turned out to be
 >  > hysteresis synchronous motors, and could start randomly at any one of
 >  > several possible rotor-housing alignments, requiring that power be
cycled
 > on
 >  > and off until the correct angular alignment was eventually obtained.
This
 >  > might be acceptable for some users for a low powered "hobby" coil, but
for
 >  > many applications this "hit-or-miss" randomness was not acceptable.
 >  >
 >  > If you now have true salient-pole motors available, I'd like to return
the
 >  > FOUR motors I bought (the hysteresis-synchronous motors, still sealed
in
 >  > your original boxes) and trade them for the "real thing".
 >  >
 >  > Thanks!
 >  > Scott Hanson
msnip.........