RE: Simple Spark Gap Designs

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Greg:

The plans you cited may be interesting from a historical perspective, but
are decades behind the state of the art in many important aspects.  Unless
you're striving for something that's only slightly less dangerous than the
norm, most folks use a neon sign transformer (NST) in place of the
induction coil.

I would advise you to look elsewhere for plans.  Be advised that it may be
difficult to find a web site that presents spoon-fed plans.  This is
because folks typically use what ever parts are available to them, so any
plan would have to be modified to suit what's available.  My web site
documents a small NST-powered table top coil, see
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/minicoil.htm.  If you don't have precisely
the same parts, almost anything can be altered, and if you're not sure
about changes, that's what this List is here for!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Greg McCoy" <gemccoy-at-nbnet.nb.ca>

Hey, I'm just starting out on my Coiling "career" if you will, and I've
decided to keep it extremely simple by following the plans you see on the
following website:
<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind2.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind2.htm

. Now I'm reasonably far on my way to completing the Tesla Coil on this
page for a school project/my own interest, but It's come to my realization
that it seems to require the secondary induction coil on this page:
<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind1.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind1.htm

. I really would find it a tremendous help if you could point out a way
which I could operate the Tesla coil without the necessary use of the
Induction Coil in a manner comprehendible by my newbie self. What is the
most simple (and preferably cheap) spark gap design I can use?

Thanks in advance,
Greg