Re: bad pole xmfrs

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi Adam, all,

Nice find! I recall seeing pics of this pig on your webpage and it
was clearly marked "25" on the front. I'll bet it was a real challenge
for two people to load a 25 kVA pig (which I suppose would have to
weigh in at 400 to 450 lbs minimum) into the back of a pickup, un-
less you had access to an overhead hoist or a fork lift to assist
in your lifting efforts. And UNLOADING it would be an even bigger
challenge w/out mechanical assitance :^O.

I'd have to agree with you 100% on the pig vs NST farm issue. Even
with a huge NST farm that supposedly adds up to the same kVA rating
as a single pig, the pig powered coil always seems to outperform the
NST driven coil, espcially in the catagory of streamer brightness!
And a pole pig dosen't even "break a sweat" running a coil at or even
significantly above its nameplate rating. It seems like I was told
that the utility power companies don't even consider upgrading a
pole transformer to a larger unit unless the demand on it consistant-
ly exceeds its rating by a factor of 80% (18 kVA draw from a 10 kVA
pig). Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong on that, but I do know
that a pig can be ran at 2 or even 3 times its nameplate kVA rating
running a Tesla coil for short runs (<5 minutes - not too many of
us are gonna run a coil for longer time intervals than that, anyway).

David Rieben