Re: Variac Ballast?????

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I have a 50 Amp/120V Variac.  Can I use this (uncut) as a variable inductor
>when feeding the pole pig with 240?  If I'm monitoring the current, can I
>allow a full 50 Amps without having the current run away?  I had planed on
>getting another one of these and put 120 on each, but the guy that I got it
>from just happened to have a 3 stack good for 84 Amps, and the price was
>right.  Now I am looking for a use for the 50Amp.  The thought of cutting
>this thing really REALLY bothers me.
>
>Randy

Randy,

I have a Luxtrol light dimmer variac rated at 5,000 watts.  I use it uncut
for ballasting my 5 kva transformer.  I also use a .8 ohm resistor in
series with it.  It limits the primary current to about 30 to 35 amps.  It
does groan a little but I agree, I am not going to cut it.

Ed Sonderman