Variac Ballast?????

Original poster: "Randy & Lori" <rburney6-at-comcast-dot-net>

I have a 50 Amp/120V Variac.  Can I use this (uncut) as a variable inductor
when feeding the pole pig with 240?  If I'm monitoring the current, can I
allow a full 50 Amps without having the current run away?  I had planed on
getting another one of these and put 120 on each, but the guy that I got it
from just happened to have a 3 stack good for 84 Amps, and the price was
right.  Now I am looking for a use for the 50Amp.  The thought of cutting
this thing really REALLY bothers me.

Randy