Re: 19.9 kV 10KVA pole pig

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi Newell,

I sold a lot of my Tesla/high voltage stuff a few months ago, including a
10 kVA, 14.4 kV pig that list member Steve Vance purchased from me. My main
reason for selling the stuff was that I just don't have the facilities to
make 10 ft. lightning bolts without distrubing neighbors and the sensitive
electronics in my own house. However, I recently started suffering "pork
withdrawal" and ended up calling up my source for rebuilt PDTs and asked
them to build me a 15 kVA pig. I was initially wanting to go for a 19.9
kV pig as well but found out that the larger HV bushings alone was going
to make it cost an extra $140. It seems that 14.4 kV is the standard pri-
mary voltage that they handle and they had plenty of 14.4 kV bushings lying
around the shop but the 19.9 kV bushings would have to be special ordered.
Also, it takes more insulation and more smaller diametered copper wire for
the high voltage side of a 19.9 kV pig than a 14.4 kV pig and this also
cost a little more. So, if you can get a 19.9 kv pig at a decent price, I
would say go for it! The extra cost is the only reason that I didn't and
I suspect that may be the main reason that other coilers stick more with
the 14.4 kV pigs as opposed to higher voltage ones. Also, corona standoff
starts to become a real issue at voltages at or over 20 kV.

David Rieben