A choke by any other name....Re: Stacking Variacs, paralleling

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

:
>Thanks,  I was wondering why they were called chokes, but all of the
>drawings I've seen were of transformers.  This helps a lot.

    Both a choke and a transformer have 'windings on a core'.
     A transformer has two or more sets. (and sometimes the 'core' is
    air...  8)>>)

    For Many Purposes one set of windings  on a transformer is
    as good as a purpose built choke, and a lot easier  to find.

    (Its called a 'choke' because (in most applications)
    it 'chokes' of AC, especially of higher freqs.  Arguably a
    more technical term is 'inductor'.)

    best
     dwp