Re: square coil

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla lis
 >Square coils have been built and it will work.   By the natural laws
 >of physics a magnetic field travels in a circle or in a curve not in a
square.
     The mag field surrounds the wires, axially to the wire..

>I have seen pics of squares coils that appear to work fine.  I am not sure
>if anyone has ever built 2 identical coils one being square and one being
>round to compair if one works better than the other.

    Conceptually a square coil will be longer (hence more resistance== loss)
    Conceptually it will have magnetic field some what firther, in places,
    from the primary (==less coupling/efficiency...)

    At a guess, both of these are small, maybe unmeasurable,
    effects, but seem to move 'away from' efficiency.

    best
     dwp