Re: mots

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 10:11 AM 03/04/04 -0700, you wrote:

 >Original poster: "Allan Scott" <ascott16-at-cogeco.ca>
 >
 >Hello everyone
 >im new to mots and i was wondering if 2 mots with the
 >primaries in series at 120 volts would ballast each other.
 >also i used a 120/15 volt step down transformer to test
 >output voltages of each mot and they where slightly
 >different does it matter?  what is the best way to wire
 >2 mots to run off of 120 volts 15amps or do the 2 of them
 >require 220 volts?
 >
 >Thanks in advance from
 >Allan Scott up here in Canada

Hi Allan,

If you hook the primaries in series across a 120 volt source,
you'll only get half the output.  To put it another way, the
output would be the same as just one transformer alone on 120.

MOTs are capable of an astonishing amount of power for their
size, and I'd advise running them off a 240 volt source so you
can take advantage of that.  Hook both the primaries and the
secondaries in series, with the proper phasing, and you'll
get around 4000 to 5000 volts output.  Use your 15 volt setup
to get the phasing right...much safer, but still dangerous,
then once you've got it right, you can apply the full 240.

You can ballast them with a third MOT that has its secondary
shorted or with some MOCs in series with the HV leads.  Both
methods are tried and proven.  I wouldn't be too concerned
about the 2 transformers not having exactly the same voltage.
If there's only a few hundred volts difference, no problem.

Also coiling in Canada,

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle