Re: square coil

Original poster: ajones18-at-bellsouth-dot-net

In <6.0.3.0.2.20040402022915.0248c960-at-twfpowerelectronics-dot-com>, on
04/02/04
    at 02:29 AM, "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> said:

 >Original poster: "steve" <steve_vance-at-cablelynx-dot-com>

 >Got a question for the list,
 >I'm looking for a new project to start. I am thinking about building a
 >small 2"orbit powered coil. My question is has anyone ever built a Tesla
 >coil with a square primary or secondary? Is there any reason that this
 >wouldn't work?

 >Steve Vance
 >http://fire.prohosting-dot-com/~bonestc/index.htm

My first coil had a square primary made of aluminum ground wire from the
Shack. Saw an article in a Popular Electronics mag and built it. Didn't
work very well, but then I didn't know what I was doing either. I used a
tiny transformer and some small hi-volt ceramic caps. Like seven watts or
so, I think. But it did look cool. Tore it down and used the secondary as
a bi-polar coil a few weeks later when I read a description on one
somewhere.

Alan Jones
KI4ATV