Re: TV vs Hair Dryer ?

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

I guess I'll have to add a note here.  A few months ago I set up my
mini coil (~5" streamers) on a stool near my 532 scope, which was turned
off.  When I fired it up a flash and a cloud of smoke appeared instantly
and the scope wouldn't power up!!!!!!  Fearing the worst I dug into it
but couldn't find anything wrong.  I then started to unplug the line
cord and the end fell off in my hands. On close inspection it appeared
that the insulation on the wires was old and cracked, and that over time
the cord had become so twisted that the wires were almost touching.
Sort of like a high-power coherer!  Repaired the cord and all was well
again.

	For those who don't know it, the Tektronix 532 is a very old tube type
scope and should be bullet proof.  I've run it in the past with a coil
putting outt 18" streamers only a few feet away.

Ed