RE: New to tesla coils

Original poster: "Dwight Harm" <dwighth-at-traxsoft-dot-com>

- you need magnet wire, meaning it has enamel (lacquer?) insulation, not
plastic.  With 'normal' insulated wire, the insulation takes up too much
space when winding.  The 200C wire is higher-quality magnet wire and will
stand up better in higher-power TCs, but not necessary for your 12/60 NST.

- 10AWG is fine; search pupman-dot-com archives for "hookup wire" to see a
discussion of this...suggestions ranged from 4AWG to 14AWG; auto-stereo
stores were recommended as source for (free) short lengths of heavy wire.

- spark gap in parallel with xfmr is recommended as being less strain on the
xfmr.  See Terry Fritz's paper at
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/primarycircuits/pricir.html