Re: TV vs Hair Dryer ?

Hi Christoph,

At 12:09 AM 9/28/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello all!
>
>Today I came around some strange occourances during running my
>TC.
>I coil indoors, but the room's walls an ceiling are heavyly steel
>reinforced and with a good ground and some improvements I had
>never problem with the phone / TV / radio or computer running
>while the coil was running.
>Today I did some short runs and my mother complained that her
>hair dryer made strange noises like the TC itself during these
>runs when she was using it upstairs in the bathroom.
>Has this ever happened before? I feel there is anything bad going
>on, but why don't the more sensitive devices like the TV set
>react.....might the grounding for the bath mains be interrupted?
>I use a Siemens 20A 240V line filter and thought this would be
>sufficient.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>regards
>
>Christoph Bohr

I assume the hair dryer is just resistive elements and a common fan.  No
microprocessors or LCD displays...  I note that some capacitors now have
uPs and LCDs :-p

First thought is that the coil is dropping the AC line just a little
bit.  Say 2%.  2% does not matter, but you may be able to "hear" that in
something that is AC voltage sensitive like the dryer.  It could be acting
as an audio speaker.  I bet that is it.  No problem at all there.

Another thought is that the sound of the coil is traveling around the house
(air vents, tile bathroom walls, and all) along with just getting out of
the shower, with the dryer going...  Just a complex accustical
thing...  Maybe that part of the house has a mechanical resonance at 60
(50) Hz...

If you are grounding to the house water pipes...  Hmmm....  Maybe something
there???

Cheers,

         Terry