high voltage probes

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I have a desire to hook our small Marx Generator up to an oscilloscope to
view the waveform across the rectifier during the discharge event.  A while
back we overvolted a 32kV rectifier we were using at "low voltage" with
only a little over 10kV cap charge.  In theory, only 20kVmax should have
existed across the rectifier.  I don't want a similar event with the final
55kV rectifier when we run it at full voltage off a 15/30 NST.

I was thinking of just making a 1000:1 resistive divider, which would work
for low frequency/DC, but I don't know how well that would work with the
MHz hash in the discharge.  Any opinions from the crowd?  I don't expect
the need to measure more than 25kV.

Thanks!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group