Re: New to tesla coils

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Sean,

If your looking for wire, try Express Wire Service in Charlotte.
www.expresswireservices-dot-com   They have the 200 degree heavy armored
polythermalize (HAPTZ) wire in whatever size you need for your secondary.
They also have reasonable prices.  Also in Charlotte is Jenkins Electric, a
source of new variacs and brushes (new ones are expensive) at
www.jenkins-dot-com .  They also refurbish older equipment.

On your transformer, try to find the 60mA version, if possible.  Otherwise,
get two 30mA units and parallel them.  A 15/30 NST is still good enough to
start with.  Check the neon sign shops in your area, and look for the
non-GFI units.  They will most likely give them away free, as they can't use
them on new signs, and there is no rewiring required.  Use a variac to
throttle it.  On the output side, use a Terry filter to protect it, or you
will destroy the NST.  Plans for the filter are at
  http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg .  Check the list
archives for setting the filters gaps.

On capacitors, the MMC or Maxwell/General Atomics caps are the best way to
go. (Maxwell's expensive, MMC cheaper, bottles cheapest)  Bottle caps are
lossy but work.  You won't get the best streamer length with bottles, but as
a newbie, not accustomed to dealing with long streamers, they work well
enough.

On torrids, you can build your own out of aluminium dryer duct.  That way
you can experiment with various sizes inexpensively.  Spun torrids are
expensive and don't work much better other than their looks.

In coiling high quality/eficiency components can make a big difference, but
lower quality components can, if used wisely, can do just as good a job.
It's best to start with a lower power coil and work up.  You will learn
more!

May your streamers become long and plentiful!

David E Weiss