Re: New to tesla coils

Wine bottle caps will work but you have two problems.  First, the glass
dielectric wastes a lot of energy, and second, corona formation can lead to
excessive ozone production (carcinogenic is large volume).

The Geek Group MMC style caps are you best bet.  At $3 each they are
inexpensive and they work great.  They have a lot of data to help you at
their website including a selection chart to match the number of series
units you need to your particular transformer.

The xmfr, caps, and variac usually are the most expensive items.  After that
it's coilform (PVC water tube coated with Glyptal), wire, a few switches and
meters and you are home.

Use 200 degree C. magnet wire for your winding (better insulation).  3 coats
of  Glyptal inside and out on the tube (let each coat dry overnight).  After
winding, 4 coats of Dolph's AC-43 (go to their website) on the magnet wire.

If you run a 12 kV 60 mA xmfr performance will be very good for your first
coil.  TC's like current.  Coilform size would be 6 or 8 inch ID PVC
schedule 40 tubing.  Winding length height/dia. ratio of 4.5:1 gives good
performance.  Toroid on top should be 2 x sec. coilform dia.  Plan on approx
1,400 turns for good output.

A local or nearby big city neon shop can usually provide a used NST for
around $25.  The 12 kV size is easier to find and the extra 3 kV only
increases output slightly.  They love current so get the largest current
rating you can afford.  Usually 12 kV 60 mA units can be found with a few
phone calls to large neon sign shops.

Have fun!

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation