Re: Toroid Height

Original poster: "Chris Arnold" <chris_arnold-at-msn-dot-com>

Gerry,

Moving the toroid height above the secondary decreases magnetic coupling
from the secondary coil to the toroid.  Upon closer inspection, the toroid
can easily be seen as a single shorted turn in the secondary system.  This
is especially apparent in CW coils like my solid state coil.  I was running
the toroid close to the top of the secondary and getting rather dismal
sparks.  I then went to move the toroid higher to determine the optimal
height and found it to be very hot to the touch, almost to the point of
making it impossible to pick up.  I raised the toroid and increased output
at least 1.25 to 1.5 times what I was seeing before.  I'm going to try a
toroid with an insulating disk to break the current loop in it and see how
it performs.

Chris Arnold

P.S. I got my SSTC twins fired up last night and was able to perform some
very nice audio modulation.  Now all I need to do is drop the number of
primary turns and see what it can really do.