Re: SRSG and Terry filter overheating

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Ditto Terry's previous suggestions.  It sounds to me like the SRSG is
firing too soon (or much too late) and the safety gaps are set much too
wide.  Don't feel bad, I was the first person (at least to admit it) to fry
the MOVs on a Terry Filter due to improperly set safty gaps.

No, the modified RS strobe will probably not show you the correct SRSG
setting.  It will normally be slightly later than when the RS strobe
indicates, but the amount depends on a number of complicated factors and
the correct timing setting pretty much needs to be found
experimentally.  The "John Freau srsg phase controller" is supposed to work
very well for quick, real-time timing adjustment while the coil is
operating.  Do a pupman or google search on quote above for some links.  Of
course just rotating the motor in its cradle also works. ;)

Safety gaps should be set so that they *just* don't fire with the primary
cap NOT connected.  Always set your safety gap before each run since
humidity as well as temperature and pressure will affect the gap breakdown.

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group