Re: Modeling and simulation

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

 > For spark growth, anyway, I think you need some very sophisticated
 > customized modeling code... Bazelyan and Raizer allude to as much in their
 > book where they talk about 1.5 and 2.5D simulations.
 > A dedicated simulator, while requiring enormous computer time, would let you
 > look at all those things. You'd have to approach it statistically though.
 > Run zillions of sims and look at statistical measures.
 > There is also the problem of validating the simulation... (akin to
 > sub-critical nuclear testing to validate simulation codes)
 > The person(s) who develops such a simulator, assuming it has a reasonably
 > facile interface, would be doing a great service to the science of
 > electrical discharge...

If someone wants to see what has been already done (a lot), take a
look at:
http://www.iop-dot-org/EJ/
Go to the search form and type "streamers" in the title/abstract field.
There are hundreds of papers dealing with sparks and streamers
available there (you need a subscription to see more than the
abstracts).
I am downloading a few to see what has been done. There are some
simulation attempts.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz