Re: Modeling and simulation

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 >  >       Having retired a few years ago after 3 decades of modeling and
 >  > simulation, I could not agree more. Most models are completely
 >  > deterministic and therefore deny the existence of chaotic processes. of
 >  > which a TC is a prime example.
 >
 > Hummm. A quick search on IEEE articles reveals many examples where
 > Spice was used to simulate electronic chaotic systems. Chaos is
 > just one possible form of behavior of nonlinear dynamic systems.
 > It can be safely simulated.
 >
 > Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	Similar behavior is predicted for an NST driving a near-resonant
capacitor.  Depending on the breakdown voltage of the gap (or the
primary voltage of the transformer) it is easy to obtain near-chaotic
discharges, similar to what I actually observe under similar
conditions.  My simulation program (Electronic Workbench, a spice-based
routine) doesn't let me simulate core saturation effects or plot phase
trajectories but those would be interesting.

	Modeling can't be any better than the inputs.  (Garbage in, garbage out
principle)  A lot of guys seem to have implicit faith in Spice models of
microwave devices operating into the mmWave region.  I see many articles
in the IEEE professional group transactions  where a wonderful new
device with unique capabilities is described,  Close reading of the
article shows that everything in it is simulated, with no actual devices
constructed.  A lot cheaper than device fab, but I personally like to
"see the measured curves".

Ed

Ed