Re: Table-top mini coil contest update

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Sounds like something to try with my mini coil. We've got an old pidgeon
coop in the backyard so I'll have to see if it also works for me. I'm
planing to enter mine as soon as I pass the 5 minute run. (Still too scared
to attempt it, I love my mini coil =) ) At least as soon as I do it, we'll
have a second entry for the category 2 contest. (Karl, no more winning by
default =D )

Original poster: "Lau, Gary"

I'm proud to announce that I have taken the #1 spot in the mini coil
competition!

Last month, Dan Mccauley and I brought our minicoils to the RATCBA
Teslathon. While I had been seeing about a 12" max streamer at home (1"
shy of Steve Wards 13" record), I found that using Ed Wingate's chicken
wire covered Cage of Death (faraday cage) as a target, I was able to
achieve 14.5" strikes to the cage. Dan achieved 13" strikes, tying
Steve's previous record.

I finally put together a chicken wire target at home and have been able
to reproduce 14" strikes, so I'll claim that as my record.

Since my initial entry, I have changed my tank cap to .025uF, and have
increased my toroid size to 3.5" x 10.75". But most important seems to
be using a chicken wire target, and using a 1/2" brass ball! on my top
load breakout point.

The minicoil web page has been updated, see
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/minicoilcontest/index.htm

My coil details may be seen at
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/minicoil.htm

Regards, Gary Lau