RE: Paralleled Primaries / Separate Drive Circuit - SSTCs ? ? ?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 >  >  > The point is that your supplies are effectively
 > connected together
 >  >  > and if the phasings don't match, they will be working
 > against each
 >  >  > other. Sort of like applying a short circuit to each other.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Malcolm
 >  >
 >  > This is why I stated that in my original email that both
 > driver circuits
 >  > would be synchronized.  In fact, I would even be using
 > adjustable delay
 >  > lines on each board to account for all
 >  > propogation delays inherent in the connections between
 > boards (for sync
 >  > pulses that is) so that the outputs can be matched to +/-
 > 50ns or better.
 >  >
 >  > Dan
 >
 > The only thing you'll achieve by using separate coils is DC isolation
 > between the drivers. Is that the goal?

I don't think I'm going to be pursuing the multi-driver approach.
Instead, I'm going to build
one monster SSTC driver.  However, you are overlooking one of the
biggest benefits of multi-driver or
modular approach.  Its much easier to design separate say 5kW switching
modules and parallel them as opposed
to building a single high power module (20kW).  Of course, there are
added complexities of the multi-driver
approach as well.

But for the time being, I'm going to build a driver designed to handle
20kW (but more typically be run at 5-10kW.  This
should allow a lot of derating for the power components and ensure a
somewhat reliable system.

Dan

Malcolm