Re: Paralleled Primaries / Separate Drive Circuit - SSTCs ? ? ?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 18 Sep 2003, at 3:37, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
 >
 >  > >Has anyone explored the use of paralleled primaries in SSTC use.
 >  > >
 >  > >For example, say I had two SSTC full-bridge power supplies each with
 >  > >their own dedicated primary winding and of course both supplies
 >  > >switching frequency are synchronized.  Now i take those two independent
 >  > >windings and use them either interweaved, or top/bottom configurations
 >  > >and run both at the same time.
 >  > >
 >  > >Neglecting losses, I would assume that two 5kW power supplies combined
 >  > >like this would appear like one 10kW supply to
 >  > >the secondary coil.  Is this correct???
 >  >
 >  > Yes!
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > >If so, perhaps this is a way to increase power even more to a SSTC when
 >  > >the maximum impedance of one coil limitations
 >  > >are met.
 >  >
 >  > The only caution I would have is that the two primaries will strongly
 >  > couple to each other.  Thus, you need to open circuit one while the other
 >  > fires.
 >  >
 >  > Cheers,
 >  >
 >  >          Terry
 >
 > Does this really matter though?  Most filament transformers have two primary
 > windings which can be either paralleled for higher current, or series'd for
 > higher voltage.
 > The coupling between those primaries doesn't seem effect them at all.  What
 > do you think?
 >
 > Dan

The point is that your supplies are effectively connected together
and if the phasings don't match, they will be working against each
other. Sort of like applying a short circuit to each other.

Malcolm