Re: streamer impedance matching, was Re: Fwd: Re: Calculating streamer breakout of top-loads

Hi All,

I should point out that the 220K + 1pF per foot of streamer capacitance is
sort of an "average" value.  The 220K seems to be fairly stable, but
certainly the capacitance varies a lot during streamer formation.  Before
the streamer starts, the impedances are no doubt very high.  Then as the
hot streamer forms and lengthens, the impedance drops.  In general, it
seems like streamers are actually a very light load on the normally much
lower output Z coils systems.  Also, note the much lower values for my CW coil:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/CWCoil/CWImpedance.txt

I just got my new tube coil running again after blowing the tubes (got nice
new  Svetlana's now* ;-))  But as I was blowing it up, I noted that the no
load to streamer load frequency was only like 350kHz vs. 348kHz indicating
a very light streamer load.  I have not studied the new toob coil much at
all, but the streamer load seems trivial to it.

I really like the toob coil!!  I bought that one of E-bay a few weeks back
since I am to lazy to make one from scratch.  Easier than "me" trying to
figure it all and make one 0:-))

*someday, we will have to have a thread about tube quality...  1988 vintage
Cetron 811A's Literally fell apart since the glue used to hold them
together did not stick to the glass.  One arced in the base area where the
pin connections are...  The 1996 vintage Svetlana's look and work perfectly
;-))

Cheers,

         Terry