Cheap toroidal top loads.

Original poster: Thomas <tom-at-pwrcom-dot-com.au>

FYI:

Cheap smooth toroidal top loads can be obtained from you local truck exhaust
system manufacturer!

The bends for custom exhaust pipes are supplied as metal pipe donuts and
sections are cut out as required.

They are manufactured by welding two pressed halves together around the
inside and outside circumference of the toroid.

Many different sizes are available.

I purchased a 5" x 13" toroid for less than 80 pacific clams (Australian
dollars), welded a plate in the centre hole, ground the outside weld flat,
and had it nickel plated. The plating was a bit of a problem apparently as
it floated in the plating tank, but it turned out fine. It looks like a
bought one!

The main disadvantage is that they are made of mild steel and are
comparatively heavy, mine weighs 4.2kg.

My latest 11kV/80mA NST powered coil gets a test run tonight - weather
permitting (not looking good at the moment).

I will publish some pictures (on the web) this weekend if all goes as
planned.

Happy hunting,

Tom L.

PS: Hello all (new to the list).